Mission and Objectives
Our mission is to conduct research of excellence aimed at ultimately transferring results to industry and translating them to clinical practice through the development of the scientific areas of bioengineering, biomaterials and nanomedicine.
The actions proposed in the 2014-2017 Strategic Plan through the Scientific Research programme and horizontal programmes are comprised within the broadest scope of said mission. CIBER-BBN activities therefore are aimed at enhancing technology transfer and translational research.
To be a reference in research and innovation in Spain and internationally, positioned as a leader in research on technological breakthroughs and the transfer of that research to clinical practice.
The fundamental purpose of CIBER-BBN is to promote and protect health by means of encouraging basic research and research aimed at clinical and translational aspects in the areas of Bioengineering, Biomaterials and Nanomedicine.
Specifically, the following can be mentioned as the four structural objectives of CIBER-BBN:
- To maintain the excellent level of scientific-technological quality achieved in these years of operation.
- To promote collaboration between CIBER-BBN research groups by potentiating stable alliances that allow combining basic and clinical research, as well as the formation of multidisciplinary teams.
- To favour translation by establishing the required channels so that the research conducted in CIBER-BBN can result in improving patient health.
- To make it easier to transfer the results of the research groups to companies through patents, joint publications, collaborations for the creation of new technology firms, providing advisory services to companies and their employees in connection with research, technology and innovation.
These objectives can be approached through these more specific sub-objectives, as described in detail in the Strategic Plan:
- To consolidate the CIBER-BBN Scientific Programme and its research lines.
- To encourage the transfer and translation of CIBER-BBN research.
- To continue potentiating scientific synergies and complementarity between groups.
- To potentiate the professional development of employees.
- To reinforce the training provided to researchers and technicians hired by and associated with CIBER-BBN.
- To support researcher mobility within CIBER-BBN.
- To redefine the powers of the CIBER-BBN Medical Advisory Board.
- To establish group funding programmes based on an evaluation.
- To position the image and scientific potential of CIBER-BBN.
- To make it easier for CIBER groups to communicate and learn about what each group is doing.